February 9, 2023
Commit to Keiki is actively tracking the following three measures as they move through the 2023 Legislature. Please join us in supporting these important bills!
GOV-01 (HB 1049/SB 1347)
Another bill in Governor Green’s package proposes several tax adjustments to help working families, including increasing the dependent care tax credit:
- HB 1049 is scheduled to be heard by the House Committees on Education and Economic Development on February 14 at 2 p.m.Your testimony is needed!
Ready Keiki (HB 961/SB 1023)
Lieutenant Governor Luke’s Ready Keiki bill to expand Preschool Open Doors to 3-year olds, is being considered in both chambers:
- HB 961 was passed with amendments by the House Committee on Human Services. This bill needs to be heard by the House Committee on Education by February 16.
- SB 1023 is scheduled for decision making by the Senate Committee on Education on February 13 at 3 p.m.
GOV-05 (HB 1053/SB 1351)
Governor Josh Green’s bill that creates an Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health program in the Department of Human Services:
- Mahalo to Chairs John Mizuno and Della Au Belatti and their House Committees on Human Services and Health & Homelessness for amending and passing HB 1053on February 7. Mahalo to the Association for Infant Mental Health in Hawaii, Hawaii Community Foundation, Family Hui Hawaii, Domestic Violence Action Center, and others for joining Commit to Keiki in supporting this important measure.
- SB 1351, the companion bill, is anticipated to be heard by the Senate Committee on Health and Human Services. We will let you know when we find out more information.
If you need instruction on how to submit testimony, the Legislative Reference Bureau created a helpful “how to” overview — please click here to download.
Working together, we can make a difference for Hawaii’s youngest keiki and their families!